It’s that time of year again – National Slavery and Human Trafficking Prevention Month. And today, January 11, 2012, is National Human Trafficking Awareness Day. So here are some things you can do today (and this month, and longer!) to help spread awareness about modern-day slavery and human trafficking and to help abolish it.
- Educate yourself and others
- There are many informative books about slavery and human trafficking. Here are some that I have read, but there are so many more available, so do some browsing at Amazon.
- There are also many excellent resources put out by various organizations. Check out these general resources, resources for churches, and videos.
- Support organizations
- By financially supporting organizations that are working to end slavery and human trafficking, you can help them protect the vulnerable, prevent slavery from happening, educate people, rescue and restore victims, and carry out justice.
- I’ve compiled a “directory” of some excellent organizations and still have many more to add!
- Take a look at these prayer guides for some helpful ways to pray about slavery and human trafficking.
- Sponsor an orphan
- Orphans are very vulnerable to human trafficking. By sponsoring an orphan, you can help protect him or her from slavery and other dangers.
- Children’s HopeChest, Make Way Partners, Compassion International, and World Vision are a few organizations that work to protect orphans from human trafficking and advocate for the protection of vulnerable and exploited children.
- Stay updated
- Stay connected
- Spread the word
- Tell people you know about human trafficking and how they can get involved. The more people who know about this, the more can be done to stop it.
I hope this will help you become more aware of the reality of modern-day slavery and human trafficking and inspire you to spread awareness and join the fight for justice!
“You may choose to look the other way, but you can never again say that you did not know.” ~ William Wilberforce, 1789