International Justice Mission has many great resources on their website, and as I was looking through them, I found their “Prayer Guide for the Abolition of Slavery”. It is both informative and insightful for praying about modern-day slavery. The following list, taken from this prayer guide, gives 5 ways you can partner with IJM in praying about slavery.
• Please ask God to inspire and equip local government authorities to combat slavery.
• Please pray for the Christian community in the areas of the world where slavery is rampant. Ask God to bless the local Body of Christ with conviction, wisdom and courage so that they might intervene to stop this violence.
• Please ask God to comfort all who are held in slavery and awaiting rescue. Please also pray for the full restoration of those who have been rescued.
• Please ask God to raise up qualified Christian professionals to join IJM or to start their own organization to rescue people from slavery.
• Please pray that God will bring awareness to the Body of Christ around the world concerning modern-day slavery, the biblical mandate for Christians to seek justice and the need for financial resources to pay for the rescue the poor can not afford.
To read the full document as well as learn more about two common forms of modern-day slavery and how IJM is working to seek justice and abolish slavery, click here for the “Prayer Guide for the Abolition of Slavery”.
Praying is something I need to continually work on, so if you are like me and need a little help getting started, or if you would like to add slavery to your prayer list, this is a great resource to use.
“O LORD, you hear the desire of the afflicted; you will strengthen their heart; you will incline your ear to do justice to the fatherless and the oppressed, so that man who is of the earth may strike terror no more.” Psalm 10:17-18